More than £38 million was saved by 130,000 households switching energy supplier – in just one month of DECC’s Power to Switch’ campaign.
Compared with the same period the previous year, the figures, provided by Ofgem accredited price comparison sites, also show:
- 193% increase in total savings
- Average saving of £312 for dual fuel switches – an increase of nearly 60%
- 80% increase in the number of households who switched
The Department of Energy & Climate Change ‘Power to Switch’ campaign encouraged people to switch and save by visiting www.BeAnEnergyShopper.com – generating more than 350,000 visits.
Wrapping up the campaign, Energy and Climate Change Secretary, Ed Davey, said:
“Our campaign has helped put millions of pounds back in people’s pockets – and thousands have benefitted.
“A huge increase in switching in a four week period shows that people want better deals from energy providers – and our reforms to the market have driven competition and made that possible.”
Energy and Climate Change Minister Amber Rudd said:
“What a terrific response to our campaign – thousands are better off and taking advantage of more competitive deals on the market.
“It’s not too late – even more people can still switch and save today.”
The Government’s programme of energy market reform includes:
- Halving switching times – it now takes only 17 days to switch energy supplier down from 5 weeks last year
- Encouraging new suppliers on to the market – there are now 21 independent suppliers
- Legislating to back Ofgem reforms that force energy companies to make energy bills clearer – and providing information for customers about how to switch
Electricity switching figures covering the campaign period will be published by Energy UK in April and May.
For more information about how to switch energy supplier visit www.BeAnEnergyShopper.com or call the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234.
Notes for Editors:
- Figures based on data provided by 8 Ofgem accredited price comparison websites and aggregated to protect commercial sensitivity. Data gathered between 16 February 2015 and 16 March 2015, inclusive.
- The ‘Power to Switch’ campaign launched on Monday 16 February 2015 and advertising went live on Thursday 19 February. The campaign has run in England, Scotland and Wales.
- For energy saving advice, customers should call the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234. If you’re based in Scotland, you can contact Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282.
- Ofgem has recently strengthened its Confidence Code for price comparison websites, setting tighter standards on how tariffs are displayed with websites given until the end of March to comply. 8 of the 11 price comparison websites accredited under Ofgem’s Confidence Code have already made the changes required under the strengthened Code.
Source: Department of Energy and Climate Change