Energy Saving Tips
For a more eco-friendly home, have a look at our energy saving tips.
Reduce your energy usage with our energy saving tips, it will save you money and will help the planet as well. You will see it’s not complicated.
- Unplug devices when not in use
- Always turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Don’t leave your phone charging overnight
- Hot shower uses less than a half of energy used by hot bath
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth and save 10 litres of water per minute!
- Keep your fridge and freezer stocked up, the fuller they are the less energy they use. Don’t keep the door open for too long and allow enough ventilation
- Only fill and boil your kettle with the minimum of water needed. An Eco kettle is an essential for any eco-friendly house
- Gas hobs use less energy than electric ones
- Dishwashers use a lot of energy. If you need to use a dishwasher, wash at a lower temperatures and try to load fully.
- When using your oven, try to open the oven door as little as possible as this lets the hot air escape.
- Consider using pressure cookers, steamers and microwaves which use less energy.
- Don’t leave appliances on stand-by. Turning appliances off at the plug rather than keeping them on standby can save another £30 per year.
- When buying new appliances, choose energy efficient ones. Changing all appliance to energy efficient alternatives can save you up to £700 on energy bills.
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs. Not only do they last up to 10 times longer than traditional ones, they can also save you money on electricity bills. Replacing all your traditional bulbs with energy saving ones could save around £25 a year on your energy bills
Garage and Laundry room
- Lowering the thermostat temperature by 1 degree can save you up to 10% on energy bills
- Wash your clothes at lower temperatures (30C) and use a full load. A wash at 60C uses 30% more energy as most of the energy used by a washing machine is used for heating the water.Tumble dryers use a lot of electricity. So when possible, try to dry you clothes outside. If you use tumble dryers a lot, get an eco alternative.
- Set your heating to go off 30 minutes before you leave the house
You have now read our best energy saving tips, start saving money and stop wasting energy!
Have you got more energy saving tips to share? Post them on our Facebook page here