Green Deal FAQs

What is a Green Deal Provider?

The Green Deal Provider is a key organisation that will undertake a number of roles from marketing to installation works. The Green Deal provider will be responsible for the provision of finance and arranging the energy efficiency works and acts as a counter-signatory to the Green Deal Plan. Typically, energy suppliers will act as Green Deal providers. However, other parties can perform the role provided that they obtain a registration licence. These could be: Installers, Retailers, Local authorities and other organisations.

What consumer protections are being put in place?

All registered providers will have a CCA licence from the Office of Fair Trading and will comply with the Green Deal Code of Practice, which sets a number of consumer protections. In addition, consumers will be provided with a warranty for the lifetime of the measures installed. Installation will be carried out in accordance to the specifications set by the British Standards Institute. Prior to being registered and approved, a Green Deal provider will have to make all appropriate provisions to provide protection for customers in the event of becoming insolvent or losing its licence.

What happens if I want to switch supplier?

Customer’s ability to switch energy suppliers will not be affected once the Green Deal Offer is accepted provided that the supplier the customer is switching to is participating in the payment collection mechanism.

What happens if I move the house?

If you move out from the property where the Green Deal measures have been installed, you don’t have to continue paying for these measures. All the measures installed must be fixed to the property, and the next tenant moving in the property will enjoy the benefits delivered by the measures. This means that they will have to pay for it and you will have no obligation once you are no longer living in the property. The Green Deal finance will also have no impact on your credit score.

Further conditions apply. For more information please Call the Energy Saving Advice Service (England, Scotland and Wales) on 0300 123 1234.