Keep up to date with current events in Britain’s Gas and Electricity
We constantly follow what is going on in energy headlines. Why? because we are thinkers. Thinkers who want to keep energy customers informed on what is going on in the UK energy headlines. This way you can make informed decisions on your energy. Developments in new energy regulation, energy markets and energy news has a direct impact on you. We want to let you know what energy headlines mean for your energy bill. Be sure to keep up to date with weekly post. We try to produce entertaining articles and break down the important bits of what is going on in energy headlines… Written for you by our energy geniuses.
We also have a rich selection of money saving and energy efficiency techniques on our Genius Energy Guide
Go on! Check it out!
The Latest and Greatest Energy Headlines
- Centrica Curse: Fix The Big 6 - Centrica and the Big 6 in Hot Water Along with a mass exodus of 823,000 customers, Centrica announced a profit warning during an environment where £1.4 BILLION was wiped from its value since the British Gas's price hike announcement in June. Last week N-power and SSE decided that they would fare better in the energy market together and announced a “mega merger”. Scottish Power, EDF and E-On have each lost considerably large numbers of customers to smaller companies because of price hikes. The energy market as it is now, is all shook up! The Energy game is definitely changing. But what will Read more
- Is the Npower-SSE merger a solution looking for the wrong problem? - "Npower-SSE, Watch out for that ICEBERG" With the mud yet to settle on the proposed merger of npower-SSE's retail division it might be a bit early to prognosticate on the likely success or failure of the proposition; but it's worth having a stab and encouraging some debate on the matter. Before we do that it is helpful to provide context, and nothing provides context like an anthropomorphic analogy. In attempting to describe the strategic positioning, or lack thereof, of the traditional Big 6 retailers, as seen from an interested and invested bystander’s perspective, I have alighted upon, rightly or wrongly, Read more
- Lifehacks: Peanut butter, a 🔀 & Kitchen Roll - Lifehacks- What could be better than that feeling when you use a clever trick to outsmart life’s cheeky little curve balls? Like losing the plot when you can’t shake the hiccups... The Longest hiccup attacked lasted for 68 years! No need to hold your breath, down a liter of water or getting the pants scared off you to battle the hiccups... Try this very simple Lifehack instead: Next time you have the hiccups, eat a tablespoon full of peanut butter- it will stop your hiccup attack dead in its tracks! Gobsmacked by the Read more
- SSE – Npower Merger- How do you like them apples? - SSE - Npower Merger- How do you like them apples? Last night news broke that SSE and owners of Npower agreed on a £7 billion mega merger. The two "big six" companies who currently supply energy to 12.5 million customers combined are looking to control 22.5% of the UK domestic energy market. This would make them a major force to be reckoned with for British Gas who has a 27% market stake. What does this mean for you the consumer? Let's start off by looking at the two companies that plan on consolidating the big six. SSE SSE reported the highest Read more
- Busting a cap on prices May kill cheap energy tariffs - Busting a cap energy prices could kill cheap tariffs By Stephen Kakouris Re Cap- Prime Minister Theresa May delivered a speech earlier this week that may well become infamous due to a series of unfortunate events. From the persistent cough that led to her losing her voice; interruptions from awkward pranksters in the crowd (not just Boris); even the sign behind her had had enough at one point and made an exit before Mrs. May's speech had ended. The biggest blunder though, may have a much more detrimental impact on British energy consumers. One of the few policy ideas to make it Read more
- I DON’T GIVE A FRACK - I DON’T GIVE A FRACK! By Stephen Kakouris Scottish Government Backs Ban on Fracking... And the people of Scotland and the United Kingdom rejoice! In the days of Trump's anti- Paris Climate Change Agreement sentiment, and major hurricanes razing islands in the Caribbean- this begs the question of whether catastrophic climate change is starting to show more of its ugly face... A Government policy to ban a new source of fossil fuels in the UK could be considered a victory. That being said, there are strong arguments to be made for having fracking in the UK as well. Let's take Read more
- This Week in Energy News- February 5th 2017 - What’s been in the Energy News this week? Well the whole nation was shocked by a certain charity scandal, yet another energy giant is dropping their prices this week and, if you are really interested in getting into Energy, Bristol City Council is offering grants of £10,000 to get into community projects. This week has been eventful to say the least… Let’s start with the main news flavor of the week… The News that everybody is talking about Where better to start than to focus on the consumer news that everyone is talking about. It is rare that you wake Read more
- The Week in Energy - Welcome to the first Week in Energy review, My Utility Genius’s weekly blog dedicated to reviewing the past weeks hottest consumer energy topics in the UK. This week, like any other, has been very busy for us at My Utility Genius HQ, with projects, plans & schedules whilst at the same time fighting with fluctuations in the Oil markets and working out just what that means for you our loyal customers. We also like to keep our eyes peeled for interesting headlines that can affect you and your pocket. We hope you find this week’s summary useful. The Price War Read more
- What are Smart Meters? - Smart Meters are new generation of gas and electricity meters that automatically send digital meter reads to your energy supplier. The purpose is to help create more accurate energy bills for your home whilst allowing you to better understand and manage your energy use. This means no more manual meter reads and more importantly no more estimated energy bills. Between 2016 and 2020, energy companies will replace every energy meter in the UK, which amounts to around 53 million energy meters at a cost north of £11 billion. The government has committed to installing a smart meter in every home Read more
- Why should I switch my energy supplier? - Why be nervous about switching energy supplier? Quite simply you should really switch energy suppliers every year; it is the fastest way to save money on your energy bills without making drastic lifestyle changes that affect how and when your energy is used. You may feel that accepting a renewal offer from your current supplier means you have done your part in saving money on your energy bills. This may well be true and kudos to your current supplier can if they offer you a new competitive tariff to take. But quite simply at every available opportunity switching to another Read more