Keep up to date with current events in Britain’s Gas and Electricity
We constantly follow what is going on in energy headlines. Why? because we are thinkers. Thinkers who want to keep energy customers informed on what is going on in the UK energy headlines. This way you can make informed decisions on your energy. Developments in new energy regulation, energy markets and energy news has a direct impact on you. We want to let you know what energy headlines mean for your energy bill. Be sure to keep up to date with weekly post. We try to produce entertaining articles and break down the important bits of what is going on in energy headlines… Written for you by our energy geniuses.
We also have a rich selection of money saving and energy efficiency techniques on our Genius Energy Guide
Go on! Check it out!
The Latest and Greatest Energy Headlines
- Renewable Energy: How Top Brands Are Using It - Renewable Energy in Big Brands The age of using inflexible and environmental polluting energy is coming to an end. The trend is moving towards the use of more efficient renewable energy, and top global companies are spearheading the move. Not so surprising since these businesses are the major energy consumers in the world. Companies like Microsoft, Pearson, and Google are already 100% powered by renewable energy, while other corporations like Walmart and eBay are making giant strategic steps toward full sustainability. Google, for one, is known to be the largest corporate buyer of renewable power, consuming 3 gigawatts of Read more
- AI in Energy: Next Level Genius - AI in Energy: Next Level Genius Artificial Intelligence in Energy, along with AI in most sectors, is destined to make major waves in the energy sector. Here at MyUtilityGenius, we know that the genius that drives the energy sector exists in innovation and looking towards future technologies to bridge the gaps. A major actor in the will be the implementation of AI in the energy sector. Below is a very helpful informational graphic that gives an excellent idea on the opportunities that AI will bring and how it will shape the way in which the industry operates. Our friends Read more
- British Gas Price Hike 5.5% - British Gas Price Hike with 5.5% increase... Again! British gas go for a hike again! 4.1 Million British Gas Customers on their SVT and default tariffs will now face an additional 5.5% increase, following a 12.5% price hike that went into effect 6 months ago. British Gas customers are paying more than EVER and those loyal to British Gas have spent the most on their energy. What to expect next? They say that it will only go up by an extra £5 a month to an additional £60 a year… This is after it when up Read more
- Energy Switching: The Easiest Resolution - How can you tell when people are over New Year's Resolutions by February? When the impatient line for the treadmill has seemed to disappear... Or the healthy veg from the first big shop of the year has gone off and now composted to make room for- other things in the fridge... Chances are that we forget all about our resolutions by the time the World Cup comes around! This year, MyUtilityGenius is challenging you to try to stick to 1 simple resolution that could save you hundreds of pounds. We challenge you to be Read more
- Gas Price Surge… Was it justified? - Gas Price Surge... Was it justified? By Robert Mckenzie, MyUtilityGenius Energy Consultant The start of this week saw a perfect storm of gas price drivers; triggering a surge in the gas price on both Monday and Tuesday this week. Prices reached levels not seen since 2013, but how did this happen? On Monday news broke of the Forties pipeline in Aberdeenshire being closed for repairs after a crack was discovered in the pipeline. The Forties pipeline is responsible for delivering around 40% of the North Sea's Oil and Gas production. The UK gas supply is reliant upon approximately 38% from Read more
- Centrica Curse: Fix The Big 6 - Centrica and the Big 6 in Hot Water Along with a mass exodus of 823,000 customers, Centrica announced a profit warning during an environment where £1.4 BILLION was wiped from its value since the British Gas's price hike announcement in June. Last week N-power and SSE decided that they would fare better in the energy market together and announced a “mega merger”. Scottish Power, EDF and E-On have each lost considerably large numbers of customers to smaller companies because of price hikes. The energy market as it is now, is all shook up! The Energy game is definitely changing. But what will Read more
- Is the Npower-SSE merger a solution looking for the wrong problem? - "Npower-SSE, Watch out for that ICEBERG" With the mud yet to settle on the proposed merger of npower-SSE's retail division it might be a bit early to prognosticate on the likely success or failure of the proposition; but it's worth having a stab and encouraging some debate on the matter. Before we do that it is helpful to provide context, and nothing provides context like an anthropomorphic analogy. In attempting to describe the strategic positioning, or lack thereof, of the traditional Big 6 retailers, as seen from an interested and invested bystander’s perspective, I have alighted upon, rightly or wrongly, Read more
- Lifehacks: Peanut butter, a 🔀 & Kitchen Roll - Lifehacks- What could be better than that feeling when you use a clever trick to outsmart life’s cheeky little curve balls? Like losing the plot when you can’t shake the hiccups... The Longest hiccup attacked lasted for 68 years! No need to hold your breath, down a liter of water or getting the pants scared off you to battle the hiccups... Try this very simple Lifehack instead: Next time you have the hiccups, eat a tablespoon full of peanut butter- it will stop your hiccup attack dead in its tracks! Gobsmacked by the Read more
- SSE – Npower Merger- How do you like them apples? - SSE - Npower Merger- How do you like them apples? Last night news broke that SSE and owners of Npower agreed on a £7 billion mega merger. The two "big six" companies who currently supply energy to 12.5 million customers combined are looking to control 22.5% of the UK domestic energy market. This would make them a major force to be reckoned with for British Gas who has a 27% market stake. What does this mean for you the consumer? Let's start off by looking at the two companies that plan on consolidating the big six. SSE SSE reported the highest Read more
- Busting a cap on prices May kill cheap energy tariffs - Busting a cap energy prices could kill cheap tariffs By Stephen Kakouris Re Cap- Prime Minister Theresa May delivered a speech earlier this week that may well become infamous due to a series of unfortunate events. From the persistent cough that led to her losing her voice; interruptions from awkward pranksters in the crowd (not just Boris); even the sign behind her had had enough at one point and made an exit before Mrs. May's speech had ended. The biggest blunder though, may have a much more detrimental impact on British energy consumers. One of the few policy ideas to make it Read more