Genius’s Energy Encyclopedia
How to use our Energy Encyclopedia
If you are looking at our Energy Encyclopedia and you are unsure as to whether you fall into the Dummy category or that of the Geek; then answering a few simple questions will help to find the inner energy you.
But before we get to that a quick word on why we thought that the guides might be a good idea. As we have stated elsewhere it is our belief that energy switching is at an all-time low in no small part because the search for cheaper electricity and gas is mired in complexity and confusion. To paraphrase Winston Churchill, the UK energy costs for a householder are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
Before we even attempt to suggest cheaper energy solutions we believe that you should be as informed on how things work as is practically possible. How informed you want to be; well that’s where the test below comes into play. If 3 or more of the statements below accurately describe you, then you are a Geek, if less than 2 do so then you are a dummy; and anywhere in between you are a Gummy….
- I wake up in the morning and read my energy bill along with the Times Crossword over a cup of coffee.
- My garden shed, where I conduct my Heavy Water fusion experiments, is powered by pigeon guano.
- I have had cause, in the past, to attempt the calculation that converts cubic feet of gas to kwh via the use of a decimalised constant and reference to calorific values.
- I know what calorific value is.
- I know that hedging is some kind of risk management approach rather than an Alan Titchmarsh colloquialism.
- I consider myself to be a bit of an energy guru and did my doctoral thesis on Nikola Tesla.
Actually, the Geek section isn’t too tough a read; but if you are short on time then go Dummy; else kick back, put on your slippers and give the Geeks section a twirl.